Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Save Us From Ourselves

I was really bitter and cynical last week during the inauguration. Of course, I'd have been bitter and cynical regardless of who got elected. To my shame be it said that I let my bitterness get the better of my charity, and to the person who had to put up with it that afternoon, I apologize.

As Diane pointed out to me at the time, politics is marketing, and people buy into the brands. I like people. I like being around people, knowing their stories, and just watching their behavior. It's a curiosity with me, a fascination. This is why I like cities. Sure, I prefer the open air, the peace of a blue sky and a spring breeze, but there is something to be said for spending time with your fellow man, for they are also beloved by God. What hurts and saddens me is when I see people whom I genuinely like led astray, either by smooth talk, or selfishness, or power, or what have you. I cannot worship a country, or an idea, or a word or emotion or politicians, and to me that is what politics is all about. Ideals - they are beautiful - hope and change and prosperity are lovely notions. Yet I have learned to much history to forget that ideals are what inspire men to kill without thought. Passion, resting upon the ideal of some higher good, and ending in the use of violent force to deprive another child of God of life or liberty, this is what has driven so many of the atrocities of the last century.

I am not willing to believe that the majority of people are completely and totally given over to evil. No, I am convinced that we have let ourselves be led astray and deceived. We allow ourselves to be whipped into a frenzy, hungry for power, hungry for blood, blinded from seeing the crimes done in our name, the innocents who suffer as a result of our passion for choice, for change, for freedom and democracy. Most Americans seem to me to be guilty of this blindness, and on occasion it infuriates me. Mostly, though, it merely saddens me. Indeed, it behooves us all to remember that we are none of us perfect, we have all, at one time in our lives, offended another child of God, and in so doing we have broken the heart of Him who loves us. It breaks my heart to see the blind cheer thoughtlessly for an ideology.

I have long leaned towards the libertarian thought pattern. A distrust of the state, of government of any sort, seems to me to be a rational approach, for to give someone power and then trust them not to be corrupted by it is foolish. At the same time, there seems to be something missing in libertarian thought, and I think I have finally begun to understand what that is. It is a misunderstanding of man himself, and of the spiritual nature of the world in which we live. One cannot operate on the assumption that by acting selfishly in all things we may achieve perfect harmony, with no government, no laws, but only our own selfish interests and the mores of society to restrain us. This presupposes, first, complete knowledge of our own interests, and, second, a lack of malicious influences in our world (or at least the assumption that they will balance each other out). It is this arrogance that has finally brought me to disenchantment with so many of the libertarian ideals.

Intellectual arrogance is another stumbling block, perhaps as harmful spiritually as unbridled passion. What is gained? True, we ought to oppose evil, by naming it, by fighting it, but too often we fail to name the evil and only name ourselves superior, and then what good have we done? Selfishness rears its ugly head once more, and the struggle never ends, until the end of time.

So what is the point? Fight on, fight for right, for truth, for truth is there. Fight for the innocent who cannot defend themselves, fight passionately, but wisely, with discretion and never in blind devotion. And always, always, fight with charity, for to fight evil with hatred and pride is counterproductive.

Lord, teach me always my own insignificance and failings, lest I think myself better than others, and remind me always of your Love, lest I despair that my life be worthless.

1 comment:

  1. Tell us, then, what is your opinion: Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?"

    Knowing their malice, Jesus said, "Why are you testing me, you hypocrites?

    Show me the coin that pays the census tax." Then they handed him the Roman coin.

    He said to them, "Whose image is this and whose inscription?"

    They replied, "Caesar's." At that he said to them, "Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God."
    ~Matthew 22:17-22

    Although this doesn't directly link to your post, it is important to remember that there is a role that God plays and a role that the Government plays. God is in everything, but the Government should not be. On this note, we need to discover what belongs to the Government and what belongs to God.

    ReplyDelete