Thursday, March 5, 2009

On the Cutting Away

Lent is, among other things, a time when we recall our mistakes and (hopefully, and more importantly) repent and return to God. Recalling some of my mistakes, and digging through some old writings, I thought I might share some of my past reflections.

"Say not that to err is human. Say rather that you forgive, as God does. There is this difference: the first is to ignore, even justify, while the second is to accept, and to love. Though we are imperfect, we must never look past our mistakes, but face them, accept them, and strive to change.

Do not seek to be called a gentleman. Only do what is right by those you meet, be kind, love, serve, respect, in sum, be worthy of the name, without arrogating to yourself the title, lest in your arrogance you forget that a good man does not seek notice, but only to serve and love. The obsession with, the mystique of the chivalrous and the gentleman, are misplaced. I do not wish to be a gentleman, but only to be a man, imperfect yet honorable, weak yet deserving of the trust of those whom I love, and all those whom I meet. "

"On the cutting away
Of the sin and the pain
There's peace to be found
Through the fear and the shame
A little voice inside
Says don't screw up again
But there's another place
A comforting thought
On the cutting away"

Now that I no longer have graduation to work for, I often wonder what it is that lies ahead. There is no demarcation, no target... so I walk on, plagued by fear and doubt, but secure in the knowledge that whatever lies before me is better than anything I can imagine right now. I have friends walking beside me, and Easter is my goal. And for now, that is sufficient.

1 comment:

  1. Transition periods, I've always thought, are the most difficult times in one's life: upon graduation, marriage, first child, little ones off to school/college, a loved one dies, etc. The familiar routine, purpose and structure give way to a nebulous uncertainty. You are indeed blessed to have friends at this time to walk beside you, Lent to toughen you as you look forward to Easter. I'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete