Friday, October 9, 2009

You Keep Saying That Word...

...I do not think it means what you think it means.

So tell me, what makes "social justice" different from regular ol' justice. Remember, I'm just a simple sort of man who spent too long in the south, but it seems to me that there's justice and injustice, and we oughta talk about what they are, and we oughta say, "This is just; that is unjust. Let us do this and not that." So tell me, what do you mean by social justice? Is it just, or are you employing not-so-cleverly deceptive language?

(N.B. I am not ranting against the Catholic Church's social teachings. I am ranting against the overuse of an undefined or ill-defined word in support of governmental policies. Remember, the Church's social teaching is founded in Charity for our neighbors. I have more thoughts on this, but the rant was mostly linguistic, so I'll lay off for now.)

*****

Remember: proscribe != prescribe. A doctor prescribes medicine; a tyrant proscribes persons or actions.

*****

"Use" is not always the best word. You do not use a hammer; you drive a nail. If you must write or say "use" never replace it with "utilize".

*****

If you are writing a column for struggling writers, do not write "try and".

*****

24-Hour Plays this weekend. Wish me well.

St. Ephrem and St. Francis de Sales, pray for me.

1 comment:

  1. As it has been so wisely said: "Why use 'utilize' when you can use 'use?'"

    ReplyDelete