Thursday, November 20, 2008

Potpourri

Open to Suggestions

I have few enough readers as it is, and so, in the interest of keeping them happy, I shall always remain open to topic suggestions. I like seeing comments, it feeds my vanity and makes me want to continue posting, so I might as well post on topics that you will find interesting enough to reply to. I have a few old xanga posts and facebook notes that I might recycle and update, but I'd like to put down some new thoughts. Help me with ideas.

Mood Music

All music is mood music, really. I don't mean that sort of mood music. What I mean is that music suits a mood, just as many other things do. There's happy music, break-up music, chill music, angry music, self-loathing music, party music, love music... I have rarely found myself in a mood where some sort of music did not appeal to me. This is why I have a hard time understanding people who rarely go outside of a specific genre. True, there is variation within each genre. I tend to prefer rock music - blues rock, folk rock, prog/art rock, hard rock, psychedelic rock, country/southern rock, post-grunge - they all have their place. Sometimes I want the blues of Layla, sometimes I want Linkin' Park, sometimes I want to lose myself in the swirling layers of Yes or Moody Blues, sometimes I want psychedelic lyrics of Cream, or the country twang and beautiful flute of Marshall Tucker Band, or the stripped down, roots rock of Tom Petty, or... okay you get the point.

Beyond rock, I often find myself relishing the calm beauty of classical. I like jazz, though I don't know much about it. I can listen to country, techno, and hip hop (though I'd rarely suggest them or spend money on them.

Coming Up (Whether You Like it or Not)

Reflections on why Obama won, the media bias, the uninformed voter, and the evils of informed voting.

Reflections on "like" and "love". Comments on the notion of a gentleman.

My generation: bad statistics, revivals, secularization, and hope.

And of course, suggested topics will be taken at my own whim.

1 comment:

  1. i'm pretty excited about the "like" and "love" post. that will be interesting ... :-)

    first of all, you really need to give country more of a change. i mean, really! that is a genre where there can be songs for every mood, too, and it is quite clean a lot of times (which you can't say for many other types of music).

    secondly, i have decided that billy joel is one artist that has a song for every feeling. give him a try, and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete