Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Incoherent Reminiscences of a Night on Bourbon Street

Bourbon Street on Wednesday night is far from quiet, though the beads do not fly, the streams of flesh are not seething from one side to the other in a drunken, lustful frenzy. Most people, it seems, are there for what is there, for the mystique and the bars and the drinks and the cabarets. It is a strange mix – tourists wandering curiously back and forth, friends laughing as they drink one too many hand grenades or hurricanes, eighteen year old boys trying to sneak into the strip clubs. The calls of “no cover” and the quieter, more vulgar descriptions of what is to be found inside some of the buildings blend into the flood of noise, but are not lost. The missionaries stopping people in the streets, passing out pamphlets and trying valiantly to reach out to souls in need, they seem so naïve, and I wonder if anyone ever listens to them or takes them seriously. My friend wants to flip them off… sometimes he’s an asshole.

I don’t remember the oppression in the air being there before. Everything looks at once so innocent and so horrible. Few of the people walking the street tonight are depraved, yet most are lost and troubled. They are having a gay time, reveling in the moment, in the sensual numbness that envelopes them. A war seems to be building around me and within me. Too easily I stare, hollow-eyed, at those around me – the girls, the drunks, the skirts, the strippers in the doorways, the sleezy fifty year old man telling you about what’s inside his building. His daughter, if he had one, could be working there, I think. Not all of the places are that sleezy, though. Many of them affect a genteel air, with young, well-dressed doormen standing in the street and pretty girls in modest, professional clothes working the front desk.

The bars are your standard. There are sports bars, a karaoke joint, stands selling beer or fruity drinks. Pat O’Brien’s and Tropical Isle are there, and people are sucking down sweet concoctions that they might later regret.

Everything seems so heavy. The summer air is close, but there is more. I want to enjoy myself. I want to have a couple of drinks and relax. But there’s a darkness there that won’t let me be. I want to laugh at the proselytes in the street and what seem to my mind to be their too strong words. But I can’t, because I think they’re right.

Finally we turned our feet toward Canal and the direction of our cars. A little in front of us a girl walked alone in jeans and a black t-shirt. My eyes followed her out of the club she had left. She was cute, darned cute. Maybe she was a real sweet kid; I’ll never know. Strange, I thought, how this girl who almost certainly had spent the night taking off her clothes for drunken adolescents of whatever age, was showing a fraction of the skin of any of the girls walking down the street. I wish I could have talked to her – I’d have told her she was pretty, and maybe tried to give her a Miraculous Medal, if only I’d had one. Maybe she wouldn’t have taken it, but I wish I could have offered.

For some reason that girl has stayed with me over the weeks. I think maybe she always will. I don’t know her name. Sometimes I pray for her and call her Lisa for no particular reason. Lisa’s a pretty name, and it’s as good as any. Even now, weeks later, I can still feel the oppression that surrounded me that night, the spiritual violence, a battle far greater than Thermopylae. Writing these words brought it down upon me again, and writing the end, the turning of our weary steps homeward and thinking about Lisa, I could feel some of the cloud lift.

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad you found the blog ^ ^;; I think you're the only one who has left a comment on it so far.
    you should post more though, i like your prose. its a morose nostalgia that i am fond of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late to your blog, was this your first trip to NO?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I had been there many times in childhood with my parents, and once before with friends in college.

    ReplyDelete